If this is your first scheduled appearance date, you have the right to request a continuance, which can be used to consult with your attorney. You may request one continuance either in writing or by phone. If you wish to continue this matter a second time, a written request will need to be submitted to the Judge for approval. Typically, the Court will not grant more than one continuance without good cause. It is not necessary to request a continuance if you only want time to pay the citation. If you do not appear, your case will be defaulted and you will automatically be given 60 days in which to pay the citation(s).