- Boards & Commissions
- Board of Park Commissioners
Board of Park Commissioners
- 6:30 pm
- The 3rd Tuesday of each month
- City Council - Council Chambers
626 Geneva Street
Lake Geneva, WI 53147
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
The Board of Park Commissioners shall consist of nine members. One of the members shall be the Mayor, one member shall be an Alderman and the rest shall be citizens of the City. The Chairman is elected by the Commission. The members shall be appointed to the Commission by the Mayor and subject to the approval of the Common Council. The members shall serve a three year term. The terms of the members shall be staggered so as to have three members' terms expire each year Three year citizen terms and one year Aldermen term begin May 1.
For a list of current members, see the Directory of Elected Representatives Boards and Commissions (PDF).
The Board of Park Commissioners shall serve as an advisory commission to the Common Council. The Board of Park Commissioners shall advise the Council on all matters pertaining to parks, recreation and forestry. Areas of responsibility shall include but are not limited to:
- Creation of subcommittees to effectively monitor and advise on specific issues regarding parks, recreation or forestry including the City tree Board
- The management, improvement and care of public parks, parkways, boulevards and pleasure drives of the City
- The development of policies, procedures, rules and regulations pertaining to the use of public parks, City-sponsored recreation programs and forestry
- The development of annual operating and capital budgets for parks, recreation and forestry
- The development of a broad variety of recreational programs and services to meet the needs and demands of the community
- The development of a master plan for the City's park system
- Advising the Council on issues of land acquisition, use of park impact fees and leasing and/or land sales or exchanges affecting the City's park system
- Advising the Council on levels of staffing required by the City's park system
The Board of Park Commissioners shall, in accordance with the state law established in Wisconsin Statutes Annotated (WSA), Section 27.08, exercise the powers granted to it, including:
- Govern and maintain all public parks and other natural enjoyment areas in the City; improve those areas; secure the quiet and orderly enjoyment of the areas; and create rules and regulations to facilitate the above purposes
- Acquire property, money, trusts, rights and privileges through gift, devise, bequest or condemnation for the City parks
- Gifts shall only be accepted after the Board of Park Commissioners has recommended the gift to the Common Council and the Common Council has approved acceptance by a resolution.
- Buy or lease lands in the name of the areas under the control of the Board of park Commissioners, in accordance with WSA, Section 27.08(2)(c)
- Change or improve all areas under the Board's control