Public Works Committee
- 4 pm
- The 4th Monday of every month
- City Hall - Council Chambers
626 Geneva Street
Lake Geneva, WI 53147
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
The Public Works Committee is a Standing Committee of the City of Lake Geneva and consists of five members appointed by the Mayor and approved by the Common Council. The Mayor appoints the Chairperson.
For a list of current members, see the Directory of Elected Representatives Boards and Commissions (PDF).
The Public Works shall be responsible for activities taking place on public property, rights-of-way, and easements, and including the following:
- Planning for maintenance, repairs and remodeling of all City-owned facilities except those facilities under the control of the Utility Commission and the Piers and Harbors Committee
- Recommend repairs of City-owned facilities to be included in the following year's budget
- Determine by inspection or otherwise, not less than annually, the need for repairs of each facility. Major repairs are to be included in the proposed five-year capital improvement plan and approved by the Common Council
- Consult and cooperate with Piers, Harbors and Lakefront Committee, Park Commission, Cemetery Commission, Library Board and any other overlapping City Committees
- Superintend all public works and keep the streets, alleys, sidewalks, storm sewers, public open spaces and public related places in repair
- Unusual use of streets - No building shall be moved through the streets without a written permit therefore granted by the Board of Public Works, except if the Common Council shall, by ordinance authorize some other officer or officers to issue a permit therefore; said Board shall determine the time and manner of using the streets for laying or changing underground utilities in City rights-of-way or easements including electric, telephone, or gas pipes, cable television, or placing and maintaining electric and telephone poles therein, provided that its decision in this regard may be reviewed by the Council.
- Restoring streets - In case any corporation or individual shall neglect to repair or restore to its former condition any street, alley or sidewalk excavated, altered or taken up, within this time and in the manner directed by the Board, said Board shall cause the same to be done at the expense of said corporation or individual. The expense thereof, when chargeable to a lot owner, shall be certified to the City Clerk by the Board, and if not paid shall be carried into the tax roll as a special tax against the lot.