How can I contest a parking citation?

If you wish to contest a parking citation, you can appear in court just as you would for any other alleged violation of a city ordinance. The appearance date and time is located on the right side of your (pink) parking citation. The court procedures utilized for parking cases are the same procedures used for any other case. You may enter a plea of "not guilty," "no contest," or "guilty."

If you plead "not guilty," (PDF) a pre-trial conference will be scheduled. At the pre-trial conference, the defendant, the city attorney and a representative from the police department will discuss their respective positions regarding the alleged parking violation to try and stipulate to an agreement between the parties.

If a defendant enters a plea of "no contest" or "guilty" the Judge will find him or her guilty and impose a penalty (a fine). Before a penalty is imposed by the Judge, he will listen to any statements or information the defendant would like to provide to the court.

If you wish to contest a meter violation you will need to contact the meter department directly at 262-248-3673 or you may come to the city hall desk and complete a meter complaint form that will be forwarded to the Meter Supervisor for review. If you are unable to come to a resolution after filing your complaint, you may file a written not guilty plea (PDF) with the Municipal Court where you will then be scheduled for a pre-trial hearing with the City Attorney.

Show All Answers

1. How can I contest a parking citation?
2. Where can I find the city ordinances?
3. Where can further complaints be directed?
4. How can I pay for my parking citation?
5. What are some reasons why parking citations will not be dismissed?