What plea should I enter?

You have a right to enter a plea of either guilty, not guilty, or no contest to the charge against you.

If you plead no contest, it is likely that you will be found guilty, but before the court makes that decision, you will have the opportunity to speak to the Judge. If you are involved in any type of arrest where you may be sued civilly (for example, a car accident), the fact that you plead no contest in this court may not be used against you in any other action or in any other court. You may plead no contest to any charge in this court.

If you plead guilty, you are admitting that you committed the offense, and if the arrest report contains the necessary elements, you will be found guilty and a penalty of a forfeiture plus costs will be imposed. Please be aware, a plea of guilty may be used against you civilly.

If you plead not guilty, you will be scheduled for a pretrial conference with the City of Lake Geneva Prosecuting Attorney. If the case cannot be disposed of after this conference, then a trial will be scheduled and held in this court. Please note that you may make your plea of not guilty before your court date either by mail, fax, or in person at the Municipal Court office.


Show All Answers

1. What happens at my initial appearance?
2. What if I don’t appear for my initial appearance?
3. If I can’t make it to my court date, can I get a continuance?
4. What plea should I enter?
5. I missed my Court date and really wanted to appear. What now?
6. How can I pay my citation?
7. I didn't pay my fines and now I'm suspended. How do I get my license back?
8. Can I do community service to take care of my fines?
9. What will happen if I don’t pay my fine/forfeiture?
10. What if I can’t pay the forfeiture by the due date?
11. What if I have a probationary license?
12. How long will this traffic charge remain on my record?
13. How can I get my points reduced? Is there any schooling?
14. How long do I have to appeal the Judge’s decision?