How can I get my points reduced? Is there any schooling?

If you are found guilty of a traffic violation, you may have demerit points assessed to your Wisconsin driving record. The court will report the conviction to the Department of Transportation. They will assess the number of demerit points against your record, depending on the charge. Points double for any second or subsequent offense on a probationary license. If you accumulate 12 or more points in a one year period by date of violation(s), your driver's license will be suspended or revoked. To find out how may points you have accumulated, you must contact the Department of Transportation at 608-266-2261.

If you wish to reduce your demerit points on your driving record, you may attend an approved traffic safety school once every three years, one of which is conducted at Gateway Technical College. This procedure does not apply if your current violation results in revocation or suspension, or if school was ordered in lieu of revocation for operating under the influence. Application for point reduction school can be made at any state vocational school.

Show All Answers

1. What happens at my initial appearance?
2. What if I don’t appear for my initial appearance?
3. If I can’t make it to my court date, can I get a continuance?
4. What plea should I enter?
5. I missed my Court date and really wanted to appear. What now?
6. How can I pay my citation?
7. I didn't pay my fines and now I'm suspended. How do I get my license back?
8. Can I do community service to take care of my fines?
9. What will happen if I don’t pay my fine/forfeiture?
10. What if I can’t pay the forfeiture by the due date?
11. What if I have a probationary license?
12. How long will this traffic charge remain on my record?
13. How can I get my points reduced? Is there any schooling?
14. How long do I have to appeal the Judge’s decision?